Monday, May 18, 2020

PHILIP L. SMALL, Renowned Architect of Roundwood Manor

Get to know the architect of Roundwood Manor: 
SMALL, PHILIP LINDSLEY (18 July 1890-16 May 1963) was a Cleveland-based architect best known for his work with Charles Rowley.
Small was born in Washington D.C. and was the son of Charles Herbert and Cora Lindsley Small. He was raised in Springfield, Ohio, and moved to Cleveland in 1904. His education included Adelbert College of Western Reserve University and M.I.T., where he graduated in 1915. He began practicing architecture in Cleveland in 1920.
In 1921, he teamed up with a childhood friend, Charles Rowley, to form the firm of Small and Rowley. Small and Rowley was best known for their work for the Van Sweringens, including Shaker Square, the Moreland Court Apartments, and Daisy Hill. The partnership was dissolved in 1928 and Small formed a new firm, Philip Small & Associates.
Small immediately thereafter worked almost exclusively for the Van Sweringens, designing interiors for Higbee's Dept. Store, the Country Club of Pepper Pike, and railroad projects. Small later did the planning and design for John Carroll University. In 1936 the firm became Small, Smith & Reeb, and in 1956, Small, Smith Reeb & Draz. The firm designed the Karamu House Theater and Community Service Building (1949-59) and several buildings for Western Reserve University and Case School, including the science center, 2 dormitories, the physics building, and Freiberger Library (Case Western Reserve University). Small retired in Dec. 1960.
Small married Grace Hatch in 1920. They had two children, Philip L. Small, Jr., and Martha (Mrs. Elliott E. Stearns, Jr.). Philip Small died in Cleveland.
[From Case Western Reserve University's Encyclopedia of Cleveland History]

Palm Beach Historic Mansion Repurposed Into Condominiums


A wonderful example of what we hope is the future for Roundwood Manor, courtesy if the Instagram @roundwoodmanor:
🌴🌴🌴Warden House Palm Beach🌴was designed in 1922 by esteemed architect Addison Mizner for William Gray Warden, Pittsburgh Coal Company president and Andrew Mellon associate. In 1980, the 40 room Mediterranean Revival 🌴 Spanish Colonial Revival style estate was renovated and repurposed into a 6 luxury unit boutique condominium residence. It received the Preservation Foundation of Palm Beach 🌴inaugural award for the mansion’s historically sensitive renovation and was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places on August 01, 1984. Almost 40 years later, the 2 and 3 bedroom Warden House units are rarely available for sale and remain a highly coveted Palm Beach address.